ETLO Online Learning Facilitator for NorthTier Consortium of Schools 6/2014 to 9/2016
Instructional Technology Coordinator - Washington-Lee High School, Arlington Public Schools 8/97 to 8/13
- Provide leadership, mentoring, advocacy in best practices involving teaching, learning, and technology
- Identify emerging technologies and create opportunities for innovation in the classroom
- Develop and deliver professional development programs and training based on needs assessment, department requests, and technology standards for instructional personnel requirements
- Serve on building and division leadership and administration teams relating to instruction and technology
- Manage yearly budget for technology and professional development
- Procure hardware and software
English Teacher • Arlington County Public Schools, VA 08/2016 to 06/2017
English Teacher • Prince William County Schools, VA 08/1981 to 07/1997
English Teacher • Clarke County Public Schools, Athens, GA 08/1978 to 07/1981
- Taught English grades 7-12, all levels; Co-taught US History for 2 years in a course designed to integrate English 11 and US History; Final year in Arlington was a International Baccalaureate instructor for grade 11
Adjunct Faculty, George Mason University, Fairfax, VA 9/93 to 12/01
- Taught technology methodology course required for secondary certification; taught technology certificate courses
Adjunct Faculty, Northern Virginia Community College 9/93 to 9/94
- Developed and taught a 3 credit course to overview Instructional Technologies for secondary teachers
Adjunct Faculty, American University, Washington D. C. 3/10 to 12/10
- Taught technology methodology course required for secondary licensure.
Lead designer for best practices using iPads in the classroom.
- Identified 12 faculty members whose innovative work showed they would be excited to try a new technology to engage students.
- Established a meaningful communication tool for all participants to use which would share best practices
- Worked closely with each participant to ensure their goals were being met
- Evaluated the integration of the tool and with the team of participants identified appropriate and relevant apps
- to use with students.
- Built program to 26 teachers in 2 years.
Lead designer, Career Advancement Program (CAP) online professional development course, 2011-12.
- Working with experts and their content, devised a six week online course on reaching excellence in teaching.
Best practices committee member, Arlington Public Schools Social Media Policy, 2011.
- Designed policy and best practice guidelines for the use of social media in the classroom.
Lead designer, Digital Citizenship curriculum design, 2005-present.
- Working with committee from various departments to develop curriculum raising awareness of ethical use of technology in and out of the classroom for faculty, students and their families.
Committee member, Classroom Technology Guidelines Planning Guide, 2007.
- Contributed to the policy that describes what a 21st Century classroom should look like for Arlington Public Schools.
Committee chair, Action Plan, Southern Accreditation Council’s school improvement plan.
- Action Plan becomes part of the overall school management plan for 2001-10.
Coordinated school-wide implementation of pilot program for the adopted 2000-01 student information management system (SIS).
- Identified processes and procedures which lead to changes in the district-wide roll-out of the SIS for 2001-02.
- Facilitated the Washington-Lee High School's administrative team's efforts to work effectively with the technical support group in networking and administration.
Search committee member for Arlington Public Schools Administrative Technology Information Services.
- Committee role to identify an automated student information management system (SIS).
Lead designer for the Social Studies Curriculum Website for Arlington Public Schools, June, 1999.
Collaborated with NASA education team to design the first NASA interactive communication site for Woodbridge Senior High School.
- Students and their teacher could communicate directly while the teacher viewed the Atlantis Project launch in Florida.
Instructional leader in the Planning and Implementation teams for the first fiber optic network in a Prince William County School, providing ethernet access to every classroom in Woodbridge Senior High School. 1989-1991
- Grant recipient for etext book innovation program from Virginia Department of Education, 2010-2011
- Author, “Using the iPod Touch for Educational Purposes” The Greater Washington Reading Council, Vol XXV, 2010-2011. Describes the uses of the iPod Touches with High School English Language Learners.
- 2011 Support Employee of the Year, Washington-Lee High School, Arlington Public Schools.
- Author of winning grant proposal from the Armed Forces Association of Electronics and Communication, 2002. $10,000.00 grant was used to purchase 2 interactive SmartBoard™s, 2 LCD projectors, and 2 laptops for classroom use.
- Co-author of technology integration grant from NOVATech, March, 2003.
- Invited Peer Reviewer for US Dept. of Education, Technology Innovation Challenge Grant Program, 1999-2001.
- Invited Peer Reviewer for National Science Foundation grant program for Technology Innovation, Fall, 1998.
- Coach of Finalist team for ThinkQuest competition entry, 1997. Provided technical support as well as content review. Students received scholarships for their entry.
- Received "Exemplary Awards" from the Virginia Department of Education in 1992 and 1993 for lesson plans which incorporated technology. Published in DOE's journal and distributed to all Virginia school divisions; represents collaborative planning with content area teachers.
- Appointed Affiliate Research Instructor for George Mason University's Interactive Educational Technology Center. Provided opportunities to create collaborative research and project opportunities with GMU faculty.
- International Society for Technology in Education. June 2010, “Data Driven Decision Making in the Classroom”
- Virginia Department of Education Technology Leadership Conference, November, 2001. Presentation: "Evaluating Technology Integration Instruction: Guidelines for Administrators."
- Northern Virginia Regional Conference, June, 2001. Presentation: "Information Gathering Skills Using Inspiration."
- National Educational Computing Conference, 1997. Poster presentation for ThinkQuest competition.
- Florida Educational Technology Conference, 1996. Presentation: "Innovators of the 20th Century: Using Electronic Resources for Research"
- Virginia Council Teachers of English, 1991. Presentation: " Promote Writing Responses using Visual Stimuli.".
- Featured speaker on 3 statewide video teleconferences for Fairfax Public Schools, 1993.
University of Virginia: Educational Specialist – Educational Leadership
George Mason University: Master's Degree in Curriculum and Instruction – Application of Instructional Design
- Area of specialization: Instructional Technology. Course work included Instructional Design, Application of Instructional Design for Microcomputers, Distance Learning and Telecommunications
University of San Diego: Bachelor of Arts Degree in English
- Minors: History, Philosophy, Education
- Postgraduate Professional License • Endorsements in English and History, Administration K-12 • 06/2018
- Certified Instructor of Online Facilitation • EdTech Leaders Online